“A good concrete base provides a sturdy foundation”
If your require a new base for your concrete garage or your old base needs replacing, we offer a complete concrete garage base laying service. Our team of highly experienced staff carry out all jobs in a quick and tidy manner ensuring a quality finish ready for your new building.
The benefits of a good quality base are huge:
- Increased Durability: A good quality base significantly improves the longevity and durability of the shed or garage. It prevents structural damage caused by soil movement or subsidence.
- Structural Integrity: The base ensures the structure stays in good shape for a longer time by offering the required support and preventing sinking or distortion of the frame.
- Moisture Control: The base prevents moisture and dampness from rising through the ground, thereby keeping your shed or garage dry and preventing damp and mold.
- Protection from Pests: Having a base can deter rodents or insects that might want to make a home under your shed or garage.
- Level and Stable Foundation: It ensures the shed or garage has a level and stable foundation, reducing risks of structural failure or collapse due to instability. This stability makes the garage/shed safer and easier to use.
- Saves Money: While it might involve some initial costs, a good quality base can actually save you money in the long term by reducing repair or replacement costs.
- Increases Value: Should you decide to sell your property, a well-built, solid shed or garage with a high-quality base can add value to the sale.
- Easy Maintenance: A well-constructed base simplifies cleaning and maintenance of the shed or garage.
Steps for creating a new concrete base for a concrete garage:
- Site Selection: Choose a site for the garage. Consider accessibility, space for door opening and the direction of rainwater runoff.
- Ground Preparation: Clear the area where the base will be located. Remove grass, roots and large stones, ensuring that the site is level.
- Excavation: Dig down to the depth needed for the concrete slab. The standard is approximately 150mm.
- Construct Frame: Set up the formwork. This can be constructed from wooden boards and is used to keep the wet concrete in place until it dries.
- Add Base Layer: Before you pour the concrete, you’ll need to lay a sub-base to provide support and help the slab to drain water effectively. A sub-base is typically made up of hardcore (crushed stones).
- Damp-Proof Membrane: Place a damp-proof membrane onto the hardcore to prevent the wet concrete from draining too rapidly.
- Reinforcing Mesh: Lay a reinforcing mesh over the membrane. This provides structural support and prevents cracking. (alternatively fibre mesh concrete is regularly used producing the same end result)
- Concrete Pouring: Concrete mix poured into the frame. It should cover the entire area evenly.
- Levelling and Smoothing: Once you have poured the concrete, you will need to level it. This can be done using a straight-edged piece of lumber to ‘screed’ off the excess.
- Drying and Curing: After levelling the concrete, you’ll need to let it dry. It may take anywhere from a few days to a week depending on the thickness and the weather conditions.
“A solid, professionally poured concrete base will provide a secure and stable foundation for your garage.“
Why not ask Hanson Garages to carry out this work for you? For the best results sometimes hiring a professional to get the job done can save you time and money.
Hanson Garages can provide:
- Site preparation
- Construction of wooden former for the base
- Aggregate and cement (includes delivery)
- Base reinforcing (steel or fibre re-enforcement)
- Damp proof membrane (when requested)
- Concrete mixing and pouring
From your initial consultation to the final installation, we’ll work with you every step of the way to ensure that you’re completely satisfied with your new concrete base.
Contact us today for a free quotation.